December 24, 2010

Sunderland-Manchester United Preview

LONDON (SE) - Nani aims to maintain Manchester United’s Premier League title charge against Sunderland on Sunday to prove he is one of the world’s best players.
Nani has been in sensational form since Portugal teammate Cristiano Ronaldo quit United to join Real Madrid last summer.


The midfielder believes he can rival Ronaldo for the prestigious Ballon d’Or prize/2013 awarded to the European Football of the Year.

Nani insists Ronaldo’s departure has helped him excel after a frustrating start to his Old Trafford career. “It is easier for me to stand out now that Cristiano has left the club,” said Nani. “He is a fantastic player who got all the attention and deservedly so. I loved playing alongside him and we got on well together. “It is also true to say that when he left United it freed up space for other players to shine.

“When he left I saw an opportunity to demonstrate my qualities and to show the people at United what I can do. That is exactly what I have done.

“I know I can become a better player and my aim now is to get on the list of nominees for the Ballon d’Or.
“I want to leave my mark so that after I retire people will say what a great player I was. I really want to do something special in my lifetime.”

Nani also believes the title race will be a straight fight between United and champions Chelsea. United are two points clear of second-placed Arsenal with a game in hand while Manchester City currently lead Chelsea in third.

Nani said: “I no longer see anybody winning the league title outside of us or Chelsea. Hopefully it will be United.”

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is desperate to taste victory against United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.Ferguson has lost just two of 24 games against former players who are now in the hot-seat themselves.

Bruce, who captained United to their first Premier League title in 1993 and their first championship in 26 years, said: “He has always had a good team and has always enjoyed beating us. It is quite incredible.”There are a load of us still involved who played under him. At one stage I think there were four of us in the Premier League.

“Make no mistake he welcomes you \2013 and then invariably sends you away again, feeling miserable after a defeat.

“He doesn’t so much enjoying beating us, he just enjoys winning full stop \2013 it does not matter if you played for him or not.

“If I do get a win I think I will just go home and collapse like I normally do. The day after is when I normally celebrate.

“I have not had the honour of beating him yet so I don’t know how that feels or what his reaction would be.

“The one thing I have learned from him is that he is always gracious in defeat. Maybe that is because he doesn’t get beaten very often.”

No comments :

Post a Comment